Tuesday, July 28, 2015

BAD HEX

Hey Dreyfolk! 

Spokanne's Bad Hex are coming through for Dreyfest and have taken a few minutes to do an interview.

Their name is great, we think, and made us wonder what a "bad hex" might be...

Having your home permanently smell like sulfur-y eggs, always being hungry but never being satiated, hmm...

Let's ask them what they think:



Was he supposed to be there or is this a photobomb?



Bad Hex: please introduce yourself again!

I'm king of the swamp.



Before you started this interview, what were you doing?I just took a shower and brushed/flossed my teeth. #fresh


You are fresh off a tour- how was it, any good stories or highlights (or lowlights)? Tour was good, all things considered. Most of the shows went really well and we had a lot of fun. A few shows fell through last minute which is really disappointing, but another one came through last minute which made up for it a bit. So we ended up having 25 shows and went through 25 states. The whole point of tour was to go down to Orlando to go to Harry Potter World. We had 4 days there and it was amazing. Probably the worst thing that happened on tour is I got sick the last day and had to sit in the car with a fever all day. The best part was that we went to diners for breakfast every morning which is the best way to start the day. 



On the tour, you played here in Billings; how did it go?

The venue screwed the show up by changing it from 18+ to 21+ at the last second so a lot of people couldn't come. But it was great hanging out with/seeing Idaho Green again. That was my 25th time seeing them. It's good to be in the arms of friends after being away from home for so long.

Anyone that missed out on the show can just come see us at Dreyfest. Also, if you are bummed because you couldn't come, book us at your house next time.


If there was a witch and she were to curse you, what do you really think a bad hex would be?A hex that makes you not like the taste of pizza. Or to not be able to recognize your mother. A hex that makes you hear christmas music everywhere you go. A hex that makes one leg slightly shorter than the other. A hex that keeps you alive forever.


Since the last time you were here (before the most recent show in July), what have you been up to?Between last Dreyfest and now I have been working a ton. I worked two jobs and saved a lot of money to be able to do this huge tour to Florida and back. A day in the life of Jason went like this: Wake up at 10am. Eat breakfast and get ready for work. Walk to my first job and be there from 11-2. Walk home. Drive to my next job. Be there from 3-9, or usually later. Come home. Hang out with my girlfriend and send countless emails trying to book shows until 2am. Go to bed. repeat. 

Somewhere in there I managed to write, record, and release a new album and a new split. And start writing the next one. 


What is one interview question that you never get asked but would love to be asked? (and answer it!)

No one ever asks me about my musical influences, and I like talking about records, so here we go.

A lot of different music influences me. Some direct, some indirect. Let's talk about Florida death metal. Straight up, Obituary, Death, Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel, Deicide.. How did that scene get that good? And then we've got New York.. Immolation, fucking Incantation. Do you hear those breakdowns in Onward To Golgotha? And then there's Sweden. Unleashed, Nihilist, Entombed, not to mention Dismember! That tone! Those sounds of early death metal influenced me a lot. The rawness, the pure aggression.

Switching gears, then there's the MTV/Fuse rock of the early/mid 2000's. Most people are embarrassed by that phase of music, but I've never grown out of those bands. Saosin, Motion City Soundtrack, June, Underoath (Dallas era only), From First to Last, Hawthorne Heights, Armor For Sleep, My Chemical Romance... Those bands came around for me at a very formative age and got me more interested in songwriting. I was raised on classic rock like anyone else, and I get a lot of inspiration from Syd Barrett, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead, and especially Black Sabbath. Sabbath's first four records are probably the most important records of all time. Where would any of us be without them?

I have a lengthy background in punk which is how I got interested in emo. You could catch 15 year old Jason jamming anything Crass Records or Dischord Records related on any given day. I owe a lot of what I do to that scene in DC, in the mid 80's when bands started to be referred to as emocore. Rites of Spring, Embrace, Fire Party, and then later on elsewhere with Boilermaker, Garden Variety, Boys Life, Giants Chair. Those are the bands that I draw the most direct influence from. I started listening to them in high school and knew that was what I wanted to do. Most people involved in "emo revival" don't know anything about the history of emo, or they would know that what they listen to and what they play is NOT real emo. Posers.

In single sentence answers, what should we know:
a.) About Bad Hex
b.) About you as a person
c.) About soup
d.) About Spokane
e.) About curtains
f.) About touring

a.) People say we sound like Dinosaur Jr but I've never listened to them, so go figure.
b.) Most people grew out of their middle school emo phase, but I never did.
c.) Tomato soup is the fucking worst, and my babysitter forced me to eat it when I was a kid, and it made me vomit on multiple occasions.
d.) Pacific Northwest's best kept secret.
e.) Good for privacy.
f.) Don't do it.


Thank you for the interview, Jason. Before we sign off, what are your online presences?







Thanks for reading...readers. Other bad hexes we thought of: never-ending back-to-back family reunions, having all beverages taste like cough syrup, having to say "see you at Dreyfest" after every blog post you publish.



SEE YOU AT DREYFEST!



*gasp* THE CURSE LIVES!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment