Monday, May 18, 2015

WHITECATPINK

Folks, we have all kinds of great stuff falling into place for this year's festivities. Before we get into it, though, we'd like to announce the beginning of Dreyfest interview season! 

First up: a curious mammal got in touch with us about playing on the 2015 roster via email. The message was entirely in "meow"s. Not knowing what to make of it, we decided to message back, only to receive another meow-filled message. Signed with a paw print. Certainly this was a friend joking with us. ...As it turns out, no. We asked the...uh...person?...to Skype with us so we could communicate in a more fluid manner. What we got was as confounding and wondrous as anything that has ever happened to the Dreyfest organizers. ...And some of us have licked toads with a mouthful of  nutmeg, so you KNOW this was craaazy!


Here is our Q & A with WHITECATPINK!



Is this furreal?


Hello and welcome to the Dreyfest blog! Please tell us who you are and what it is you do.


I am the legendary WhiteCatPink, originally from the planet Saturn, and I am an audio-visual blend of Serge Gainsbourg, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, and Ziggy Stardust.  I play drums and sing while running automations that I have created in Ableton Live.  I do this dressed as a 6'4" White Cat, and my lyrics are sung variously in English, French, and, more rarely, German and Russian.  I am pleased to be a part of Dreyfest, and I plan to bring the party.


In your bio, you say you've been White Cat in WHITECATPINK since 2007...can you tell us about any of the changes and development that have occurred since that year?

Since then, I have gone solo - I used to have a full band, but one of the founding members suggested that I try to work something up with Ableton, so I taught myself how to use it.  I have since developed and created the ability to be a self-contained unit, having fashioned an electronic box which houses a vocal processor, wireless microphone receiver, small mixing board, and the ability to run a PA if necessary.  In this way, I do not have to rely on anyone to create and process my work.  Much like Kling Klang studios in Düsseldorf, I work to develop new and exciting sounds for the world at large.  I have worked with various musicians since I have gone solo, but the way I want the music to sound and the way I have structured it is rather demanding, and I rehearse hard and do not like to jam and fool around.  I do not drink, smoke, or eat meat, so my channels to the Great I Am Supercomputer XIX are clear and open, and I do not like to have my time wasted.  Hence, it has proven easiest in this band to be solo.  My sound has also changed, as you can imagine, having developed greater proficiency in Ableton, and I have a bit more of a Krautrock feel (read: NEU!, Kraftwerk).  So, I am not just a spotty fellow dressed in a catsuit playing drums...


More on your bio: you list Serge Gainsbourg as a prime influence. Does WHITECATPINK have a Jane Birkin or Brigitte Bardot? A muse? An ingenue?

That's a tough question, because I have had many muses throughout the years, but I'd say my Jane Birkin was the blonde girl kitty in the indoor photo session with the white background, who has taken a place as the iconic 'three girl kitty' WhiteCatPink logo as seen in the cover photo of my FB band page.  My Brigitte Bardot was a Russian model who became a girl kitty for me a while back and was a subsequent lover for a brief period, after which, in classic nonchalance, she walked away, leaving me devastated, much like Serger when Bardot left him to reunite briefly with her ex-husband.  Nonetheless, it is better to have loved and lost rather than not to have loved at all, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. 


Have you been back to Saturn since you've been living in Denver, or are you stranded?

Fortunately,  I am able to travel quite easily with my telepathic half-binary spacecraft between Earth and Saturn, so I visit both places regularly.  One must be careful of the asteroid belt, though.  That can be a bit rough!!


In the mind of WHITECATPINK, what would your crowd ideally be doing while at your shows?

At my shows the crowd should be dancing and having the best time of their lives.  I strive to make connections with my audiences and to let them experience moments and have their lives altered in some positive way.  I want people to leave a WCP show thoroughly inspired.


Will this be your first time in Montana? Are you sightseeing at all- Yellowstone maybe? Or are you touring through or planning on hanging for the fest?

This will be my first time in Montana as WhiteCatPink, but I have visited your beautiful state in my human form many times.  I am planning on doing a short tour that will end with Dreyfest, and I plan to hang out and see all of the great music!


What are your feelings on dogs?

I surprisingly get along quite well with dogs. 

WHITECATPINK meets BLACKDOGBLUE



How can we learn more about you and your music?


You can learn more about me and my music at these websites:


I look forward to participating in Dreyfest and thanks for the great questions!






Thanks for answering them, WCP! 


See you at Dreyfest!

2 comments:


  1. I found a very good site "http://preply.com/en/russian-by-skype" from there you can study russian with native speakers online.
    Preply is a great platform for getting good teachers help especially for learning International Languages.
    I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Most of the time, we would not be excited by this, but Emad Wahba highly recommends it?? THE Emad Wahba? HIGHLY recommends it?! JUMP ON THIS NOW, FESTERS!

    ReplyDelete