Saturday, May 23, 2015

CAGED BIRD SONGS

Haiku about band
Caged Bird Songs for Dreyfest blog
sounds like this here stuff:

Scream like your lungs want 
out of your body to fall
to the floor bloody

Now relieved frame limp
and crumpled like leaf from tree
Caged Bird Songs set me free FUCK SIX FUCKING SYLLABLES I WILL NEVER MAKE THIS WORK WHO THE HELL TAKES POETRY AS A COLLEGE COURSE ANYWAY HOW MUCH DISPOSABLE INCOME COULD I POSSIBLY HAVE TO WASTE ITS NOT LIKE I'M GOING TO BECOME THE NATION'S LAUREATE OR ANYTHING I JUST WANTED AN EASY A BUT THIS IS PROVING TO BE WAY MORE DIFFICULT THAN I CAN HANDLE OR EVEN HAVE FUCKING TIME FOR SHIIIIIIIIIT!


NO GODS, NO MASTERS, NO CHAIRS.


Hey hey hey and welcome to the Dreyfest blog! Please introduce yourselves and say what your favorite color is for the class:

James: I'm James, my favorite color is red.
Adam: I’m Adam, my favorite color is blue.


How long have you been a band, and is this your first band??

James: We have been a band for almost two years. This is mine (James), Adam, and Nate’s first band. Kevin and Jake have been in a ton of really cool bands. Including stoic. and Out of Character.


I hope you guys are not tired of this question: are you named after a Maya Angelou poem/album?

James: Hahaha I don't think we've ever been asked this question actually but I’m sure a lot of people assume so. It is an amazing book but the name just kind of came as a metaphor for feeling trapped in a small town, and I just liked the redundancy of Hot Water Music’s name (before I learned that was after a book as well) so we added 'songs' to the end.

Adam: I actually just read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings a couple months ago, but we didn’t choose the name because of it. It is amazing though.


According to Facebook, you dudes are looking for a new drummer. [Read in a concerned mama tone:] "Will you be alright for Dreyfest?"

James: Oh we'll be fine. [Read in a comforted sons tone:] Adam is moving from guitar to drums, Nate is moving from bass to guitar and Andy from Old Sport is playing bass. It's really great playing with super talented people that know multiple instruments so when changes need to be made we don’t lose any momentum.
Adam: Yeah Dreyfest will actually be our first show with this new lineup. Andy is the best for helping us out in our hour of need.


Last December, the sales from your release Dead Pursuits were donated to the Ferguson public library and the St. Louis Food Bank. What moved you to do that? Have any of you been involved in charitable activities before?

Adam: Initially, the things that moved us to do that were the same things that just about everyone was feeling at that time. I felt really upset and disenfranchised after watching what happened in Ferguson and New York, but I wanted to contribute in a way that was more constructive than just saying “Fuck Police” on our Facebook page. When I saw that Driftwood Records was setting up a donation drive, I felt like it was the perfect opportunity to get involved.
In the past, CBS has tried to be involved in as much of this as we can. I organized a benefit show with Cole from stoic. and Niko from Medicine Bow last year for a local home for youths in the Laramie community, and that was really successful, and something we were all really proud of. Right now, CBS has a brand new song on a compilation aimed at raising money for the Women’s Foundation of Nepal, a group that is working closely on earthquake relief over there. As a group, we’d really like to do more of this in the future, and we’re lucky to be surrounded by so many talented people that care about making a difference.


You guys toured with stoic. last year. What's the relation between your bands and do you have any touring plans for the coming year?

James: Jake, our outgoing drummer, and Kevin are both in stoic. Sharing members with stoic. makes it logical for us to team up and share touring expenses but we also feel like it makes it harder to differentiate the two bands to each audience. That being said, I'm not too certain how many more tours we'll be doing together.
Adam: At one point we were planning to tour with them this summer, but now we’re going to stay home and get some writing done. Those guys are our best friends, and stoic. is an amazing band. We’re lucky to have been so intertwined with them.


Aside from your own band activities, what are you excited about for the near future?
James: Hahahaha
Adam: Well Kevin just graduated nursing school, so I bet he’s stoked on that. I’m about to start my last year of college. Band stuff is pretty much the most exciting thing in our lives.


What are some genres, or who are some specific artists, you listen to regularly, but have not informed your music?

James: I just listen to podcasts and Counting Crows.  
Adam: I listen to a lot of rap. The first NAS record is probably one of my favorite records ever, but that doesn’t really inform what we do at all, and I don’t think it’s something I would ever create.


If you were to commit a crime, what kind of crime do you think it would be?

James: Animal liberation.
Adam: Yeah that would be pretty cool.


If someone was interested in learning more about you guys, what would you suggest they do (good spot for plugs, if you want)?

Adam: Check out our bandcamp or Facebook, and definitely check out our new song at benefitfornepal.bandcamp.com. There are 50 bands on the comp and all the money goes to a great cause, so even if you hate us it’s still worthwhile!





They did not provide
the links to their resources
so here you go folks:



...I don't even know 
how to do a syllable 
count on those...links...there

I DID IT!!! World, say hello to Mister Doctor Richard Dreyfest, PhD!



SEE YOU AT DREYFEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment